Follow Me!!

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Be Truthful Be Pure....

From our young age, we have been taught to tell truth. We have been taught not a lie & express the fact.I remember my 1st encounter of  "truth & lie" from an English textbook in schools through stories of Mr. Mohandas Karamchand A.K.A Mahatma Gandhi. He, who was brave enough to admit his mistake in front of his father after getting enlightened by watching Sathya Harischandra's Drama.

Truth connects people; as & when you express your inner most secrets by means of desire or uncertain past it can help others understand you more. It creates a sense of trust.

But still people lie.Through the ages people dwell between truth and lie. We say lying is easy, truth is difficult. Why is it so?

Everyone needs immediate solution and hence Lie has come into existence. Lie can bring immediate satisfaction but cannot sustain for long. It creates peace for a moment but by means of a false signal. It is just a slow poison which we are unaware.Truth on the other hand, can hurt not only you but others for that moment but over the time it creates satisfaction and we can take it forward and build as a base for a new beginning.
Source: Pixabay/shutterstock

Hence waking up and realizing that I need to sort this out by telling the truth needs encouragement and motivation from within and takes a great deal of courage. But once you speak out, it gives mental relief and physical confidence. I had encounter same situation few times; the moment I know something terrible is going on, I would need to tell the concern person as soon as possible.

I want to illustrate what happened during my early days of my career.
Source:pixabay/shutterstock

I was just 5 months into IT and I was still in my learning phase. Every now or then, there were releases which needed to be tested thoroughly & implemented. Even though, I was new as an IT professional, my manager showed a great deal of confidence in me and gave lots of high responsibilities. I was given a whole location activity and advised to take up the activity till the end.

The whole project went on smooth, few a times there were ups and downs, but was manageable. But the concern came at the closure. The Client which I handled was more keen on documentation and privacy; during the release stage, I realized that the document which was submitted was not as we prepared and tested. It had a discrepancy. This realization ticked in the early morning hours @ office just one day before release. No one of my colleague or my client were online.

I thought for a few moments, "It is in approved state. My Client and My high officers have not identified my mistake while approving.  Why don't I too just leave this here and go on with my other work as if nothing as happened. It can't create any mistake from me. I was not the sole responsible person as they didn't do their duty well"

Hence I just forgot about it and carried on. Later around 8.30 clock I saw a blink in my office communicator. It was my End customer. A rush of gush went through my body, "Did he catch my mistake in the documentation?". I opened the ping and read it aloud. No!!, Phew it was something to do with today's activity.

Then came my manager and called me to his office room through his extension. Again the same feeling & again a false alarm. It was just to inform that he will be out of the office early today and wanted the daily task report soon and some stupid other works lined up for tomorrow.

But I had understood that keeping a secret, not telling the truth or in building a lie can create confidence for a few seconds but it always creates frequent static shocks like those gush moments I am facing now.

I went back to my manager's cabin and told him about the mistake I have encountered. I apologized for not identifying it earlier. He was angry as tomorrow was the closure day for that project but thanked me for identifying it before the release. He then said that I need to address it to my Indian Client whom I have been working very closely.

I called my Indian Client and explained the mistake which I identified this morning. He was calm and laughed and said "Wow it was approved by so many people and never identified. I think we all trusted you so much and hence we did not  think there will be any mistakes from your end. Yes we can understand it"

He then explained me it was not a big deal but yes to make a version change of the document and email the version copy stating the reason and approval needed again of the document.

I then understood that why was it not the approvals mistake; "the trust in me that I will not do mistake". It really boosted my confidence in doing my work even more sincere.

To be frank even now, when I am not working for that Client, I have a healthy relationship set between the Indian Client, my manager & even my end customer.

I believe , one of this act " Telling the truth at the right moment" has contributed to it.

Hence don't hesitate to express Truth, It might be more beneficial than hiding it.

This Blog is written as a part of a Happy Hours campaign held by Indiblogger & Kinley Mineral Water on topic "Kitna chain hota hai na sachchai mein" stating about a time in our life where telling the truth was the right thing to do. 

Embedded below a video of Kinley 2014 TVC

No comments:

Post a Comment