Follow Me!!

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Melbourne, City of Literature

International trips are always pleasing and gives us a new exposure on their culture, hospitality & wideness. If such trips are in the World's most livable city , then it is an added advantage. Such city is chosen by a survey conducted based on having the best standard of living. 2014 World's most livable city is "Melbourne"

I have never visited Melbourne but yes unlike everyone I have heard of its beauty , architecture & some world famous events or organisation. 

As an Indian, no one can go out of our subsistence without getting involved in Cricket. And on that sense, when we connect Melbourne it always reminds me of MCG- Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Australia is famous for sports & MCG marks for it. As the name inclines it induces cricket but lots of other games such as football, rugby, athletics, boxing have been conducted and even events related to it are being hosted. Even last lap of Melbourne Marathon was organised here.It is the 11th largest stadium of the world and the largest in Australia.I can also remember it having the highest light tower compared to any sports venue.And also not to forget even our dear PM did not miss to go here during his Australia visit.

Melbourne City center or the city in itself  is a place to visit for. Most of the business and financial center of Australia are present here. It has the tallest buildings of Australia and its infrastructure is breath taking.
It is called as City of Literature by UNESCO as it engulfs, celebrate & maintain its culture & heritage without getting distracted by globalization. Hence the city participates in promoting their Film, Arts, Music; be it by Live performance in theaters; be it films as world first feature film was produced in Melbourne and Australia film industry is situated here or be it by showcasing worlds best street plays. We can view architectural buildings in the city which talks about how the city has maintained its heritage and also marked a standard for other city.



Australian loves coffee, books and hence you can get a sneak peek of such entity like cafes, bookshops packed with arts & music venue throughout the city. It has also been marked as having the best health care & education facility in Australia.

Melbourne city center is the transportation hub of the city & railways is an important transport among them. Flinders Street railway station has covered the entire rail network, and is the world busiest railway station. The station is spread across a huge area & has most stunning architecture of Victorian heritage. The street also comprises Metro's suburban services . We can also find what they call as 'W class Melbourne tram', a electric tram which follows city center tourist routes. These trams are a cultural icon of Melbourne.



Great Ocean Road is the perfect coastal drive where it creates a sense of nature coming to you. We can walk if we don't like to drive exploring the national parks, beaches and definitively the magnificent view. We can also surf, enjoy wildlife & get to know the culture through food. It creates a world of escaping from the city. 

As all sea facing cities, we can find famous beaches with its unique identity; to name some are St Kilda, Brighton, Sorrento.











We can also find some famous and oldest tourist attraction around the city like Melbourne Zoo, Melbourne Museum, Royal Heritage Exhibition buildings

To conclude, It has everything which needs for comfort and as necessity and is livable with ongoing beauty through its rich taste in its culture and heritage. Even though it is rooted in its culture, it calls out globally to participate and grow with the modern livelihood. Hence it is called as 'Culture capital of Australia'.

So why can't anyone fall in love with this impressive city...!!!

This blog post is written for the contest organised by Indiblogger and Tourism Victoria on the topic "What's your reason for falling in love with Melbourne, the most livable city in the world?"

You can also get more details on Melbourne in the link from Tourism Victoria
http://www.visitmelbourne.com/India.aspx

Along with blog contest there is also a contest for the readers. You just need to answer the below question

"Which of these places would you want to visit in Melbourne and why?".

(https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2r0ptqQ1wBCimcqdfsBCks1YVaFDczLh)

The best answer (chosen by me ) will win a gift voucher. The contest for the readers end by 4th Jan 2015.

So please participate

One such place of the video is below for your reference.



**All image source is from the contest page i.e. Tourism Victoria.

- Prathi

12 comments:

  1. I would love to visit the Panny's famous chocolate factory. That is because he is an Indian. Panny is actually Kodandpani Lakhmanan. He arrived in Melbourne via Malaysia and Papua New Guinea, where he had worked on cocoa and coconut plantations before immigrating Down Under. He is now legend in Australia. He has made we Indians proud. Besides his chocolates are mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melbourne is a wonderful place and no doubt another place of heaven. I am in age of 60s so the peaceful things attract me a lot. I wish to visit Collingwood Children's Farm, I will be happy to spend my time with my family and do those activities which I & my grandson & granddaughter hardly did in their childhood.

    Then I will sure visit some Indian restaurants because tasting Indian food in Melbourne style will be a great experience for all of us.

    Royal Botanic Gardens, a place I can take deep breathe and give peace to my mind. This old woman needs a place where she can walk and see the beauty of nature. See the art of God which is consolidated in Royal Botanic Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post and interesting videos that make me feel that
    Melbourne invites the eternal romantic in me to hold hands with my beloved and go see the Twelve Apostles .Go on long drives on the great ocean road. In the middle of nowhere in a vineyard spread a table and enjoy a meal and a glass of wine with my dear one. Enjoy the sunsets holding hands and do lots of shopping at the Queen Victoria Market and see all the graffiti being created at the hosier lane.
    Great Post and interesting videos watching them I am sure to visit Sovereign Hill for spending some time in the era gone by. The lure of gold and panning for some nuggets is a temptation that is too much to resist. After I have found the gold I am bound to celebrate it with some wine so I will visit the vineyards and enjoy some great wine from the Yarra region .Visit the Pannys Phillip Island Chocolate Factory and have my fill with this yummy delight.
    therisingstarz.blogspot.in/2014/12/melbourne-selfie-capital-of-australia.html
    http://goo.gl/ByJqvP
    therisingstarz.blogspot.in
    http://goo.gl/59Omjz

    ReplyDelete
  4. MCG, the Australian mecca for cricket lovers. I would definitely like to be in Australia when either Indian team or the English team happens to be on tour, the nest time. Will be a memorable experience to watch the rivalry unfold right in front of my eyes, sitting right in the middle of MCG.

    - Ranjith (http://www.alightheartedtalk.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the most interesting places which I shortlisted to visit after watching Tanmay and Rohan's videos is here. This comment space would be very less in order to keep on giving the reasons to visit these places once in life, but I am trying to be as short and crisp as possible and these are the must visit places if at all I go to Melbourne in my life.

    Yarra Valley for Great Day out and Excellent Wine Tasting tour which seems totally magical. Driving around Yarra Valley in a beautiful and breathtaking places seems like a great country getaway from Melbourne city and so much to see, visit and taste.

    Going for a Seal Watching Cruise and Observing those inquisitive & graceful creatures close up, is a trip one will not forget I guess. It seems to be a totally a worthy place for young and old too. So many seals getting close to them could be an absolutely thrilling experience.

    Another place I wouldn't want to miss is Sunny Ridge Strawberry farm for some AMAZING Strawberry ice cream and strawberries, it seems like a strawberry heaven with delicious, succulent and mouth watering strawberries ever. I am sure this place visit would be a great experience for the kids too.

    Have you watched Penguins parade ? If not, I guess this is the place to visit which is Phillip Island Nature Park. The experience to watch these penguins is Out of this world, a must see for great experience and its awesome

    for Animal lovers too. Its like cute litte faires coming in from Ocean. I guess, this is a MUST do experience when I am in Melbourne.

    Are you a chocolate lover ? I guess Pannys Amazing World of Chocolate is a must visit place for enjoying some mouth watering chocolates. Also, just watching the huge waterfall of chocolate cascade down is breath taking. And watching the live chocolate making is fun.

    If you are a drive freak and love to drive around in some scenic spots, this is the place to visit which is "The Great Ocean Road". Seems like it would be a Great tour, great food and fantastic view.

    Some more places which I love to visit is Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove, Loch Ard Gorge beach, Chateau Yering BBQ for some amazing Australian BBQ and definitely a hot air balloon ride for spectacular sightseeing and experience in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely Post! After reading your post and watching all the videos, I feel I am witnessing a kaleidoscope called Melbourne! To answer your question, I'd love to go to the Queen Victoria Market, operating since 1878, to watch the locals sell fresh fruits and vegetables in such a vibrant environment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Canary, Thanks for commenting...I really appreciated that you found my post interesting and has made you witness a glimpse of "Melbourne". I have declared you to be the winner. Hope you receive your voucher soon. Enjoy

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your post about the cultural capital of Australia.
    Flinders Street railway station, Melbourne Cricket Ground and St Kilda, Brighton, Sorrento would be first choices on my lip if ever I get a chance to visit Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Post :-)
    As for answering your question, I would love to visit the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Being a cricket enthusiast, I don’t think I would getter a better thrill in Australia than watching a Boxing Day Test Match live at the MCG. The Australian cricket fans are very hostile towards opposition players but are the first to appreciate a good player. I would want to sit amongst the 100,000 fans and cheer for my team. It would be even better if I got a seat next to Anushka Sharma so that if Virat Kohli scores a century and blows a kiss at her again, I would be on TV :-D
    www.ryanfernandes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a person who loves to travel this place has struck my eye.
    And here, Eureka Skydeck 88 is going to be first on my list.. i can just imagine the view after reading about it and i feel its going to be awesome.
    Then the St. Kilda Beach,the long walk on the beach during the sunset will be just perfect.. And finding gold is also there.. :D
    why not get my pockets filled with some tresure hunt..Laneways and Arcades is going to be the place to explore my "Lara croft" skills.. :D :D
    Melbourne is going to be a great place to visit and enjoy a holiday..

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I get to visit Melbourne, walking through the lanes of city wud be no less than a picturesque ordeal for me... I'm an Art lover at heart and could not stop admiring any piece of Art around me. Since the Melbourne city walls contribute largely to its vibrant urban culture with its unique expressions of art displayed throughout the city... I bet I won't feel solitude taking a walk all alone and would just keep smiling looking at the spectacular work all around. I won't be able to stop myself clicking pics after every few steps ;) plz take me there ^_^

    Shilpa Bindlish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks all for commenting...Hope you enjoyed my post,...and hope you all get to go to the "city of literature" soon.....: All the best :)

    Going back to Bog contest: All comments were good..but the one I like the most is from "Canary", as I felt she had connected with my post...Hence I declare "Canary" as the winner of my blog contest

    ReplyDelete