Follow Me!!

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Being Self-sustain


Dr Anjali, one of the top most doctors of Mumbai were on the dais along with her other fellow top doctors of the city. They had gathered around to collect a memento from the Chief Minster for saving 1000's of life from the cyclone which had made a catastrophic effect on Maharashtra few weeks back.

Despite being a hero herself, Anjali did not look very happy. Instead, she was searching for some familiar face in the crowd below. She looked disappointed. But suddenly something caught her eye, which made her smile.

At the end of the hall, she noticed a lady hiding herself behind a pillar; trying to get a glance of the stage set up. Anjali was about to call her assistance,when her name was called out to make a speech.

The Speech -

The day when the cyclone struck many people asked me, 'why are you leaving a safe hospital and going to that relief camp to save people?'.

Aren't you scared? Why risk life for others?

During the time I was in relief camp many of the survivors who needed medical treatment were shouting, saying "Please don't save me. My husband is no more or my children is no more. I don't need to live", Many became handicapped and didn't want to lead a life. A disaster doesn't only take life but, it can make few lives more difficult to lead. This is where we as a public servant need to build confidence; & serve our duty is what I believe.

You would ask me, it's easy to be a hero.

No...I know the pain as I lost my family in a cyclone, but more than that I know what is the mindset of people who has survived. I am the best example.


In 1998, when Mumbai was charged by the cyclone, we lost our family & wealth. My mom was the only one to take care. I was in my 12th then.My dad had a dream, he wanted me to be a doctor from day one of my birth. But due to disaster, I lost my way. I failed in my board exam. Unable to fulfill my dream & not able to cope up with the situation, I wanted to commit suicide. Unless it was not my mom, I would not be standing here. 

She took me to a nearby garden. There was a dog which stood with only 3 legs. It had broken its leg in a cyclone. It was trying to chase its tail in-spite of becoming handicapped. 

My Mom said, "Don't depict life as If God has taken away one leg from that dog's life. Watch life as God has kept 3 legs to enjoy" "It can now only hop and will have difficulty to walk, but it's purpose is to survive and it can do so with 4 or 3 legs. So why worry about the lost when it can't be returned!"

Ever since then, we have faced a lot of challenges in life, but never gave up & never allowed anyone else to give up. And, I am not here to boost about it too.

I just want to convey to the survivors who have lost hope, who have lost interest; please don't be so.  There are only few who gets a second chance, please don't crave yourself. There will be a silver lining which will make you charge up and make you self-confident. Wait for it.

Anjali called her assistance and murmured something on his ear & then she continued.

Myself Dr Anjali, probably known as a top surgeon in town. But many don't know that I am Kammini Devi's Daughter. Kammini Devi, a  servant at the age of 35 due to our circumstance had to wash dishes, clothes & cleaned houses in many middle class houses in Thane. She is my  guider. She has made me a self sustained person as I am now.

I would like to give this memento to her

& she pointed at that pillar.

Kammini Devi was the lady who was standing near the pillar and was brought by Anjali's assistance to the dais.

Both Anjali & Kammini Devi received a grand applause from the audience.

The End


This Blog is written as a part of a Happy Hours campaign held by Indiblogger & HDFC http://www.hdfclife.com/) on topic " how a family member has guided and encouraged you to grow into a better, more self-reliant person"

No comments:

Post a Comment